This role is part of BBC Studios, our global content company that supports the BBC Public Service mission of maximising the greatest commercial returns to the license payer by building BBC brands, audiences and reputation across the world.
Core to this growth will be understanding our customer – direct, indirect and partners – to deliver exceptional experiences, with data and analytics enablement recognised as a strategic driver of change.
We’re looking for a Lead Architect to join the data platform team in the BBC Studios’ Global Technology Architecture group. The data platform team will be responsible for the overall architecture design, vendor evaluation, system integration and migration guidance for an upcoming strategic data platform, supporting data discovery, processing, collaboration, and product integration across Studios’ direct to consumer and B2B line of businesses.
Working closely with the data team lead, domain architects, and business owners, you will be responsible for fulfilling direct-to-consumer data use cases, leading relevant architecture and system integration design, driving vendor evaluation, supporting end to end data pipeline implementation, and contributing to a shared data platform strategy, roadmap, and governance.
This is an opportunity to play a pivotal role in transforming the BBC Studios’ existing data stacks onto a self-service Modern Data Platform that enables business domain teams to produce Data as a Product and to empower personalisation of BBC services.
- Lead the detailed design and supervise the implementation of an end-to-end data platform that aligns with direct-to-consumer product strategy and roadmap, from data ingest, storage, processing to transformation, serving and product integration
- Lead or contribute to the detailed technical evaluation in relevant vendor and integrator selection process
- Lead the high-level platform configuration, tooling choice and process design that will enable data platform as a service for multiple direct-to-consumer business units to deliver data products fast and reliably, while maintain consistent data compliance, quality, and governance standards.
- Collaborate with B2B data architects, data platform lead as well as wider BBC group stakeholders to design and implement shared data discovery and governance tooling and standards.
- Build effective relationships, guide and support engineering teams, product owners and any 3rd party suppliers to ensure the predictable and reliable delivery of our goals aligned with the department’s technical guidelines and strategy.
- Responsible for communicating and documenting the technical architecture of data platform and core configuration
- Promote and ensure consistent use of shared platform components, technologies, and integration approaches
The Ideal Candidate
- Strong expertise of architecture design of a modern end to end cloud data platform and its supporting process and tooling e.g., ETL/ELT, Cloud data Warehouse/Datalake/Lakehouse Design (e.g., snowflake, databricks, bigquery, redshift etc), data transformation and modelling (e.g., dbt), workflow management (e.g., airflow), data catalogue and governance, data quality monitoring, data protection and compliance etc.
- Strong hands-on design and integration experience of end-to-end data platform, data pipeline and operating model supporting multiple business domains.
- Broad understanding and experience of cloud native data relevant product offering and its application in various stages of data platform.
- A track record of owning and delivering solutions across a broad spectrum of the data project deliveries, involving mixes of internal, offshore and vendors - via both Agile and Waterfall delivery styles.
- Experience in working with a multi-disciplinary delivery team of product managers, engineers and analysts to ensure delivery of an architectural strategy.
- Strong vendor and external partner management skills
- Knowledge and Experience of data privacy regulation and relevant design pattern.
- Able to convey complex information across multiple audiences, including senior business, technology teams, peers, and vendors.
- Experience evaluating existing and emerging technologies and their potential uses to support delivery of business value.
- Ability to decompose systems in order to understand the underlying architecture and function groups
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Able to work independently and as part of a wider team.
- Active learner, both within your technical and professional area of expertise, & taking control of your own career development
- Knowledge and experience with platform and process design following data mesh principle.
Meet our people
We're people like Andy Fernandez
Andy, who brings a fresh look and approach to every project as a Senior Producer in Singapore.
"My career in TV production began in Bombay back in 1994 and five years later I moved to a cable and satellite television network in Singapore. I fell in love with the city and have been here ever since. I did spend a few months with a production house, but broadcast has always been my thing. Nine years ago I joined BBC Worldwide as a Producer and I haven't looked back, continually developing my broadcast skills and growing my career."
"What I really enjoy about my job is that I have both production and management responsibilities: I'm involved in producing promotional videos, mainly for On Air but also for Sales and Marketing, but I also guide and direct creative decisions and oversee the team's workflow. The opportunity to work with premium, quality-based programming on a daily basis is all the motivation you need, and I try to bring a fresh look and approach to every project – I really put my heart and soul into every job, staying positive even when things don't go so well. I also enjoy the working culture. There's mutual respect throughout the whole team and I'm always learning from others."
We're people like Chris Cole
Chris, whose entrepreneurial talents enable him to brainstorm ideas and fight fires as Executive Vice President, Strategic Partnerships/Projects in New York.
"Before I joined BBC Worldwide, I spent 14 years as an executive producer and a year as part of the BBC's commissioning team. This involved working with both in-house and independent productions in the USA and UK, and delivering science and natural history projects across BBC channels. It's great to compliment and use that experience in the commercial world. My role has allowed me to develop my interests in factual entertainment, and with BBC Worldwide, you're guaranteed great content, a great brand and great people – all rolled up into one organisation."
"I'm responsible for developing and driving strategic business growth for our factual content in North America including sales, co-productions and front list SVOD. It's about being positive, creative and entrepreneurial, and there's a lot to my role from supporting my team to brainstorming ideas on how to get the best deal done. I talk to clients, solve problems, fight fires... and generally make stuff happen! If I were to pick one highlight from my three years here, it would be negotiating a new co-production output deal with the Public Broadcasting Service in America to support the BBC's pipeline of great factual content."
We're people like Orlando Turner
Orlando, whose role as an AV Systems Engineer has allowed him to learn from the best talent in the industry.
We're people like Ellie Pullan
Ellie, a Programming Executive on the Digital Children’s team, who helps to facilitate various teams' KPIs through supporting digital-first campaigns.
We're people like Jay Jaxon
Jay, who's a problem-solver extraordinaire as Operations Director in Miami.
"Operations in Miami provides end-to-end support to our Latin America region. That means ensuring our content is secure and our people are safe, providing playout and distribution to our channels business, creating cost-efficient, sustainable and reliant workflows to the sales content team - and anything else the region needs. You can imagine how much of my day is spent solving problems; it really keeps me on my toes."
"I started in live events before moving into the music business as an audio engineer. I then moved into TV and the rest, as they say, is history. I've been witness to some fascinating changes as we've moved from tape to tapeless, from tapeless to file-based environments, from linear TV to non-linear and video on demand platforms."
"I decided to develop my career on the Operations side of the business and I've been at BBC Worldwide for two and a half years now. I've been fortunate to be able to build an incredible team around me, the people here really are first class. While I might have been around a bit I'm still learning, particularly on developing my leadership skills and technical knowledge."
We're people like Rosie Thomas
Rosie, whose favourite part of her job as a Producer of Green Planet is the opportunity learn and travel.