Combining the strengths of the UK’s most-awarded production company and a world-class distributor, BBC Studios works with the best British writers, directors and programme-makers and crafts over 2500 hours of content every year. We’re a one-stop-shop that touches every aspect of the value chain from production to exploitation - whether that’s financing or developing a show, producing it or selling it globally. And we make sure it gets to you no matter how you access it: through linear channels or digital platforms, consumer products, live events and much more. Find out more about the world class content that BBC Studios makes at bbcstudios.com
We are looking for an experienced Senior Architect to join BBC Studios and focus on building world class systems and technology offerings to support the organisation globally.
Your contribution will help the BBC reach wider audiences worldwide and enable the BBC to produce more quality content it’s famous for.
This is an exciting time to join as we’re driving many transformation activities; impacting all areas of the business; from investment through sales, production through distribution. We’re also changing the way we work to, and we’re keen to get your experience to improve agility and deal with an ever more complex and continuously changing media landscape.
- Maintain an overarching understanding of the BBC Studios technology landscape and identify service composition challenges and opportunities.
- Maintain a good understanding of industry and technology trends and innovations to both inform business opportunities within BBC Studios and influence internal and external partner roadmaps to support the business and IT change plans.
- Understand and support wider BBC Group architectural perspectives, assess and manage impacts to BBC Studios activities, and represent and champion BBC Studio’s needs.
- Engage directly with projects or programme
- Lead and drive our operating model across initiatives
- Work with outsourced providers and other delivery mechanism alongside internal
- Evolve architecture runaway, patterns, standards in collaboration with other Architects
- Deliver and maintain architecture artefacts within initiatives
- Design adaptable, scalable solutions aligned with the wider BBC Studios technology strategy Promote and ensure consistent use of shared platform components, technologies and integration approaches
- Ensure that design and development teams deliver in accordance with the solution architecture and within the Architecture guardrails.
- Produce low-level and technical design in line with architectural guard rails
- Make key design decision within the project or program that enables the successful delivery and meets the requirements
- Ensure built and tested solutions are compliant with the approved design (Quality Assurance)
The Ideal Candidate
- Either specialist domain expertise (for example, across marketing and sales platforms, content supply chain functions, digital media products) or have strong technical domain specialisms (for example, application, integration or data architecture).
- A track record of owning and delivering solutions across a broad spectrum of the project delivery lifecycle in involving mixed shore resources and across both Agile and Waterfall delivery styles.
- Ability to decompose systems in order to understand the underlying architecture and function groups
- Hands-on approach
- Able to convey complex information across multiple audiences, including senior business, technology teams, peers, and vendors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Able to work independently and as part of a wider team.
- Active learner, both within your technical and professional area of expertise, & taking control of your own career development.
- You will have expertise around commercial line of business systems, covering sales, marketing and supply chain functions, and ideally have media industry experience.
- Media industry experience
- Experience in architectural frameworks, enterprise architecture management and modelling tools
- Agile Frameworks and Design Thinking process
- Data modelling, management and migration experience
- Integration architectures and approaches
Job ID 38362628320 Date posted 20/10/2022 Location London, England, United Kingdom
Meet our people
We're people like Andy Fernandez
Andy, who brings a fresh look and approach to every project as a Senior Producer in Singapore.
"My career in TV production began in Bombay back in 1994 and five years later I moved to a cable and satellite television network in Singapore. I fell in love with the city and have been here ever since. I did spend a few months with a production house, but broadcast has always been my thing. Nine years ago I joined BBC Worldwide as a Producer and I haven't looked back, continually developing my broadcast skills and growing my career."
"What I really enjoy about my job is that I have both production and management responsibilities: I'm involved in producing promotional videos, mainly for On Air but also for Sales and Marketing, but I also guide and direct creative decisions and oversee the team's workflow. The opportunity to work with premium, quality-based programming on a daily basis is all the motivation you need, and I try to bring a fresh look and approach to every project – I really put my heart and soul into every job, staying positive even when things don't go so well. I also enjoy the working culture. There's mutual respect throughout the whole team and I'm always learning from others."
We're people like Chris Cole
Chris, whose entrepreneurial talents enable him to brainstorm ideas and fight fires as Executive Vice President, Strategic Partnerships/Projects in New York.
"Before I joined BBC Worldwide, I spent 14 years as an executive producer and a year as part of the BBC's commissioning team. This involved working with both in-house and independent productions in the USA and UK, and delivering science and natural history projects across BBC channels. It's great to compliment and use that experience in the commercial world. My role has allowed me to develop my interests in factual entertainment, and with BBC Worldwide, you're guaranteed great content, a great brand and great people – all rolled up into one organisation."
"I'm responsible for developing and driving strategic business growth for our factual content in North America including sales, co-productions and front list SVOD. It's about being positive, creative and entrepreneurial, and there's a lot to my role from supporting my team to brainstorming ideas on how to get the best deal done. I talk to clients, solve problems, fight fires... and generally make stuff happen! If I were to pick one highlight from my three years here, it would be negotiating a new co-production output deal with the Public Broadcasting Service in America to support the BBC's pipeline of great factual content."
We're people like Orlando Turner
Orlando, whose role as an AV Systems Engineer has allowed him to learn from the best talent in the industry.
We're people like Ellie Pullan
Ellie, a Programming Executive on the Digital Children’s team, who helps to facilitate various teams' KPIs through supporting digital-first campaigns.
We're people like Jay Jaxon
Jay, who's a problem-solver extraordinaire as Operations Director in Miami.
"Operations in Miami provides end-to-end support to our Latin America region. That means ensuring our content is secure and our people are safe, providing playout and distribution to our channels business, creating cost-efficient, sustainable and reliant workflows to the sales content team - and anything else the region needs. You can imagine how much of my day is spent solving problems; it really keeps me on my toes."
"I started in live events before moving into the music business as an audio engineer. I then moved into TV and the rest, as they say, is history. I've been witness to some fascinating changes as we've moved from tape to tapeless, from tapeless to file-based environments, from linear TV to non-linear and video on demand platforms."
"I decided to develop my career on the Operations side of the business and I've been at BBC Worldwide for two and a half years now. I've been fortunate to be able to build an incredible team around me, the people here really are first class. While I might have been around a bit I'm still learning, particularly on developing my leadership skills and technical knowledge."
We're people like Rosie Thomas
Rosie, whose favourite part of her job as a Producer of Green Planet is the opportunity learn and travel.