This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Business Analyst to join the Commercial Digital Technology team. We are responsible for a wide range of digital products across BBC Studios. Our portfolio consists of B2B, D2C and syndicated solutions across all major digital platforms and includes a host of international BBC brands such as Top Gear, BBC Player, Podcasts, Global News, and BBC Select. We are also at the forefront of a number of new initiatives which will see the launch of various new products in 2023 and beyond.
The Senior Business Analyst role will be aligned to our suite of Syndication products, which currently includes Sky Ireland VOD, Podcasts, Global News Limited and BBC Select. The position involves close engagement with Commercial, Operations and Technical teams, as well as with syndication partners including Apple, Sky, Microsoft, Yahoo, Amazon and Roku, across a number of international territories.
You’ll join a small agile team responsible for the delivery and support of the platform. As such you will be involved in everything from eliciting and analysing business requirements, to testing the platform with our partners, to investigating issues when something goes wrong. We are looking for someone that can work under their own initiative, is a team player and enjoys the pressures of a fast moving environment.
The successful Senior Business Analyst will be working on a range of features and product requirements, initially for BBC Select.
Activities will include:
- Design and facilitate workshops, interviews and meetings with business stakeholders and their delegates to understand, capture and document existing business process and desired changes, using standard process modelling techniques to create the ‘As Is’ and ‘To Be’ picture
- Articulate user, business and technical requirements, documenting accurately to ensure all requirements are valid and traceable
- Build and maintain good business relationships with all stakeholders to develop business system and domain knowledge and share across the team
- Work closely with Project and Product Management teams, provide accurate effort estimates for analysis tasks and provide analysis updates to ensure delivery within agreed timescales and budget
- Help to shape and define team practices and processes to continually improve ways of working
- Define acceptance criteria, conduct and support all phases of testing and ensure expected quality thresholds are met
- Act as main point of contact for the business teams, providing proactive support and working with the technology team to investigate issues and perform impact analysis, following through to resolution
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for the successful candidate to have the following skills and experience:
- Ability to consider the detail of a feature beyond an isolated requirement. Showing consideration for longer term and larger strategic goals, such as global expansion, new platforms and technologies
- Ability to breakdown complex requirements and communicate high-level solutions and recommendations, whilst also working under pressure to sometimes very tight deadlines
- Detailed analysis and cross platform thinking, to consider all aspects and touchpoints for a feature or requirement, which may consist of multiple and varied technologies, requiring problem solving skills and excellent attention to detail
- Testing, proven skills in validating developed functionality against defined specifications and identifying gaps as the build and test phases progress
- Extensive understanding and experience of business analysis skills, techniques, and practices including writing user stories, acceptance tests and documenting technical requirements
- Experience communicating concepts and ideas to stakeholders at all levels within organisations, including oral and written presentations, proposals and reports
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams delivering software projects within a variety of methodologies
- Experience working on system integration projects, analysing integration requirements, defining data mapping and familiar with integration techniques
- Familiar with Scheduling systems such as Movida and general experience with Media delivery to 3rd parties including video, captions, metadata and avails
- Strong and direct knowledge of SVOD or VOD services, platforms and technologies
Job ID 43575617760 Date posted 24/01/2023 Location London, England, United Kingdom
Meet our people
We're people like Andy Fernandez
Andy, who brings a fresh look and approach to every project as a Senior Producer in Singapore.
"My career in TV production began in Bombay back in 1994 and five years later I moved to a cable and satellite television network in Singapore. I fell in love with the city and have been here ever since. I did spend a few months with a production house, but broadcast has always been my thing. Nine years ago I joined BBC Worldwide as a Producer and I haven't looked back, continually developing my broadcast skills and growing my career."
"What I really enjoy about my job is that I have both production and management responsibilities: I'm involved in producing promotional videos, mainly for On Air but also for Sales and Marketing, but I also guide and direct creative decisions and oversee the team's workflow. The opportunity to work with premium, quality-based programming on a daily basis is all the motivation you need, and I try to bring a fresh look and approach to every project – I really put my heart and soul into every job, staying positive even when things don't go so well. I also enjoy the working culture. There's mutual respect throughout the whole team and I'm always learning from others."
We're people like Chris Cole
Chris, whose entrepreneurial talents enable him to brainstorm ideas and fight fires as Executive Vice President, Strategic Partnerships/Projects in New York.
"Before I joined BBC Worldwide, I spent 14 years as an executive producer and a year as part of the BBC's commissioning team. This involved working with both in-house and independent productions in the USA and UK, and delivering science and natural history projects across BBC channels. It's great to compliment and use that experience in the commercial world. My role has allowed me to develop my interests in factual entertainment, and with BBC Worldwide, you're guaranteed great content, a great brand and great people – all rolled up into one organisation."
"I'm responsible for developing and driving strategic business growth for our factual content in North America including sales, co-productions and front list SVOD. It's about being positive, creative and entrepreneurial, and there's a lot to my role from supporting my team to brainstorming ideas on how to get the best deal done. I talk to clients, solve problems, fight fires... and generally make stuff happen! If I were to pick one highlight from my three years here, it would be negotiating a new co-production output deal with the Public Broadcasting Service in America to support the BBC's pipeline of great factual content."
We're people like Orlando Turner
Orlando, whose role as an AV Systems Engineer has allowed him to learn from the best talent in the industry.
We're people like Ellie Pullan
Ellie, a Programming Executive on the Digital Children’s team, who helps to facilitate various teams' KPIs through supporting digital-first campaigns.
We're people like Jay Jaxon
Jay, who's a problem-solver extraordinaire as Operations Director in Miami.
"Operations in Miami provides end-to-end support to our Latin America region. That means ensuring our content is secure and our people are safe, providing playout and distribution to our channels business, creating cost-efficient, sustainable and reliant workflows to the sales content team - and anything else the region needs. You can imagine how much of my day is spent solving problems; it really keeps me on my toes."
"I started in live events before moving into the music business as an audio engineer. I then moved into TV and the rest, as they say, is history. I've been witness to some fascinating changes as we've moved from tape to tapeless, from tapeless to file-based environments, from linear TV to non-linear and video on demand platforms."
"I decided to develop my career on the Operations side of the business and I've been at BBC Worldwide for two and a half years now. I've been fortunate to be able to build an incredible team around me, the people here really are first class. While I might have been around a bit I'm still learning, particularly on developing my leadership skills and technical knowledge."
We're people like Rosie Thomas
Rosie, whose favourite part of her job as a Producer of Green Planet is the opportunity learn and travel.