This role is part of BBC Studios, our global content company that supports the BBC Public Service mission of maximising the greatest commercial returns to the license payer by building BBC brands, audiences and reputation across the world.
The BBC Studios Product and Technology group is responsible for the design, development and delivery of the Studios portfolio of products.
Our portfolio is diverse but is fully focused on supporting our functions and businesses around the globe whether that be back-office functions, content production or direct to consumer offerings. We are a growing function and will provide an important contribution to the business growth targets over the coming years.
Core to that growth will be the launching of new or enhanced digital products into the market in order to monetize our content offering. Initially, you will be joining the team as a key member for shaping and delivering a commercial news subscription offering which is at the mobilisation phase.
Commercial Digital are a multi-function delivery team focused on delivery of world class direct-to-consumer solutions within BBC Studios. We are a small agile team delivering big change. We work in a fast-paced environment more akin to a start-up.
Our products include a number of marquee brands including Britbox, BBC.com and Top Gear as well as a number of market leading B2B products.
You will join a team where everyone - including you – strives to better understand our customers and improve our products on a daily basis.
As a team we are adaptable, supportive, highly business focused and continually looking to improve.
The role provides the opportunity to be part of an exciting and entrepreneurial international team that values creativity and proactive problem-solving. We are seeking a highly skilled, collaborative Senior Software Engineer to work across our News product set, including our newly mobilised enhanced News based Direct-to-Consumer service.
- Key contributor to the design and development of software that meets complex product and business needs.
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code.
- Deliver work to successful completion across the immediate team.
- Write appropriate tests using automated test-driven techniques for ensuring code quality and coverage.
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools.
- Ensure software works in its operating environment.
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation.
- Lead troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution.
- Participate in and lead as required, the team's agile planning and delivery process.
- Participate in and help improve the team’s software development methodologies such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing, and continuous delivery.
- Work with project, product and technical leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at feature and component level.
- Work with third party providers where necessary offering direction, support and documentation.
- Mentor and coach more junior staff. Provide technical leadership and direction colleagues. Line management of 1-2 software engineers (if appropriate).
- Keep informed of existing and new technologies, introducing them where appropriate.
The Ideal Candidate
- Confident in TDD
- Assured using JS build tools e.g. Webpack
- Strong knowledge of HTML, CSS
- Strong knowledge of Jest (or other similar testing framework)
- Familiarity with a range of AWS services e.g. Lambda, CloudFormation, ECS etc.
- Strong knowledge of Docker and other deployment technologies
- Understanding performance optimisation on high traffic websites
- Building and maintaining large scale codebases using Node and React
- Implementation of appropriate analytics
- Working alongside or within commercial and editorial teams
- Creation/management of editorial tooling
Meet our people
We're people like Andy Fernandez
Andy, who brings a fresh look and approach to every project as a Senior Producer in Singapore.
"My career in TV production began in Bombay back in 1994 and five years later I moved to a cable and satellite television network in Singapore. I fell in love with the city and have been here ever since. I did spend a few months with a production house, but broadcast has always been my thing. Nine years ago I joined BBC Worldwide as a Producer and I haven't looked back, continually developing my broadcast skills and growing my career."
"What I really enjoy about my job is that I have both production and management responsibilities: I'm involved in producing promotional videos, mainly for On Air but also for Sales and Marketing, but I also guide and direct creative decisions and oversee the team's workflow. The opportunity to work with premium, quality-based programming on a daily basis is all the motivation you need, and I try to bring a fresh look and approach to every project – I really put my heart and soul into every job, staying positive even when things don't go so well. I also enjoy the working culture. There's mutual respect throughout the whole team and I'm always learning from others."
We're people like Chris Cole
Chris, whose entrepreneurial talents enable him to brainstorm ideas and fight fires as Executive Vice President, Strategic Partnerships/Projects in New York.
"Before I joined BBC Worldwide, I spent 14 years as an executive producer and a year as part of the BBC's commissioning team. This involved working with both in-house and independent productions in the USA and UK, and delivering science and natural history projects across BBC channels. It's great to compliment and use that experience in the commercial world. My role has allowed me to develop my interests in factual entertainment, and with BBC Worldwide, you're guaranteed great content, a great brand and great people – all rolled up into one organisation."
"I'm responsible for developing and driving strategic business growth for our factual content in North America including sales, co-productions and front list SVOD. It's about being positive, creative and entrepreneurial, and there's a lot to my role from supporting my team to brainstorming ideas on how to get the best deal done. I talk to clients, solve problems, fight fires... and generally make stuff happen! If I were to pick one highlight from my three years here, it would be negotiating a new co-production output deal with the Public Broadcasting Service in America to support the BBC's pipeline of great factual content."
We're people like Orlando Turner
Orlando, whose role as an AV Systems Engineer has allowed him to learn from the best talent in the industry.
We're people like Ellie Pullan
Ellie, a Programming Executive on the Digital Children’s team, who helps to facilitate various teams' KPIs through supporting digital-first campaigns.
We're people like Jay Jaxon
Jay, who's a problem-solver extraordinaire as Operations Director in Miami.
"Operations in Miami provides end-to-end support to our Latin America region. That means ensuring our content is secure and our people are safe, providing playout and distribution to our channels business, creating cost-efficient, sustainable and reliant workflows to the sales content team - and anything else the region needs. You can imagine how much of my day is spent solving problems; it really keeps me on my toes."
"I started in live events before moving into the music business as an audio engineer. I then moved into TV and the rest, as they say, is history. I've been witness to some fascinating changes as we've moved from tape to tapeless, from tapeless to file-based environments, from linear TV to non-linear and video on demand platforms."
"I decided to develop my career on the Operations side of the business and I've been at BBC Worldwide for two and a half years now. I've been fortunate to be able to build an incredible team around me, the people here really are first class. While I might have been around a bit I'm still learning, particularly on developing my leadership skills and technical knowledge."
We're people like Rosie Thomas
Rosie, whose favourite part of her job as a Producer of Green Planet is the opportunity learn and travel.