***You must be authorized to work in the United States to be considered for this role.
At BBC Global Digital News & Streaming, (a team situated within BBC Studios, the commercial arm of the BBC) we aim to help people understand the world around them, make informed choices, and take an active part in society and democracy. As we expand our footprint to meet increasing demand for our style of quality and impartial journalism and unscripted content in North America, we are seeking motivated, passionate, high performing individuals across a variety of skillsets to join our global team. Our primary locations are New York, Washington DC, and London, though as a distributed workforce we are open to applicants in any location where the BBC has a commercial presence.
Join us and be an essential part of one of the world’s most recognized brands and trusted news organizations.
Purpose of the role
The Media Planner will provide end-to-end support to the Ad Sales teams across digital, audio, TV, and programmatic channels. This role will have a strong knowledge of BBC’s systems, platforms, ad products, and capabilities to deliver successful advertising campaigns. The Media Planner is based in the New York office and is an integral function of BBC Advertising. This position reports into the Director of Media Planning.
The Media Planner assists throughout the full campaign lifecycle, spanning pre- and post-sale execution:
- The pre-sale function is responsible for supporting ongoing selling activities across digital, audio, programmatic, and TV. This includes media plan development, forecasting and reserving inventory, and creation of supplemental proposal materials.
- The post-sale function is responsible for seamless delivery of advertising campaigns. This includes booking ads, monitoring pacing, optimizing performance, providing reporting/screenshots, and resolving billing discrepancies.
Clear and efficient communication across internal and external stakeholders is essential in both functions to maximize effectiveness of campaigns - ensuring a flawless, high quality advertising experience for all clients.
- Support Sales in:
- Responding to RFPs across channels, providing strategic solutions that align BBC offerings with client objectives to secure revenue
- Identifying and communicating opportunities for contract extensions, renewals, and upselling
- Develop media plans, forecast and reserve inventory, ensure accurate pricing and availability
- Provide specs, mocks, decks, and other collateral to assist with RFP and RFI requests, meetings, and proactive pitches
- Understand BBC’s products, tools, platforms, and operational capabilities
- Review Insertion Orders for accuracy; provide feedback to client/sales team as necessary
- Book campaigns in order management system and confirm proper set up, launch timelines, and assets with the appropriate teams
- Set up and maintain deals across BBC’s suite of programmatic offerings
- Track and optimize campaigns to deliver in full, achieve client goals, and support renewals
- Provide screenshots and reporting to clients on a regular cadence
- Create campaign wrap reports that provide insights on performance and future recommendations
- Identify and assist in reconciling billing and 1st vs. 3rd party delivery discrepancies
Frequent communication with all Ad Sales teams is essential, while also developing a strong network of contacts across the BBC
- Client facing for inquiries and updates involving media plans, deliverables, performance, optimizations, and reporting
- Internal facing for coordinating efforts between Sales, Ad Operations, StoryWorks, and Account Management
The Ideal Candidate
As a global business, diversity, equity, and inclusion among team members is essential to our success. We therefore encourage highly skilled candidates from traditionally under-represented groups to submit their applications, even if they don’t check absolutely every box on our list of desired work experience.
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong analytical, strategic, and creative problem solving skills
- Experience working in Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Suite
- 1-3 years of experience working with an online advertising operations, media agency, publisher planning, or similar team
- Working knowledge or interest in sales support systems, data, and tools is a plus
- Outstanding organization, prioritization, attention to detail, customer service, and time management skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team
- Highly motivated and proactive, with a demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects and tight deadlines
Benefits and Perks:
- 100% Employer-Paid Medical and Dental Insurance (PPO plans)
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Flexible, Hybrid Working Arrangements
- Work/life balance
- Free Retirement Consulting to All Employees
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Gym Reimbursement
- The anticipated annual base salary for this position is $50k to $62k. This range does not include or other benefits that an individual may be eligible for. The actual base salary offered depends on the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, specific and unique skills, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and geographic location of the position.
Meet our people
We're people like Andy Fernandez
Andy, who brings a fresh look and approach to every project as a Senior Producer in Singapore.
"My career in TV production began in Bombay back in 1994 and five years later I moved to a cable and satellite television network in Singapore. I fell in love with the city and have been here ever since. I did spend a few months with a production house, but broadcast has always been my thing. Nine years ago I joined BBC Worldwide as a Producer and I haven't looked back, continually developing my broadcast skills and growing my career."
"What I really enjoy about my job is that I have both production and management responsibilities: I'm involved in producing promotional videos, mainly for On Air but also for Sales and Marketing, but I also guide and direct creative decisions and oversee the team's workflow. The opportunity to work with premium, quality-based programming on a daily basis is all the motivation you need, and I try to bring a fresh look and approach to every project – I really put my heart and soul into every job, staying positive even when things don't go so well. I also enjoy the working culture. There's mutual respect throughout the whole team and I'm always learning from others."
We're people like Chris Cole
Chris, whose entrepreneurial talents enable him to brainstorm ideas and fight fires as Executive Vice President, Strategic Partnerships/Projects in New York.
"Before I joined BBC Worldwide, I spent 14 years as an executive producer and a year as part of the BBC's commissioning team. This involved working with both in-house and independent productions in the USA and UK, and delivering science and natural history projects across BBC channels. It's great to compliment and use that experience in the commercial world. My role has allowed me to develop my interests in factual entertainment, and with BBC Worldwide, you're guaranteed great content, a great brand and great people – all rolled up into one organisation."
"I'm responsible for developing and driving strategic business growth for our factual content in North America including sales, co-productions and front list SVOD. It's about being positive, creative and entrepreneurial, and there's a lot to my role from supporting my team to brainstorming ideas on how to get the best deal done. I talk to clients, solve problems, fight fires... and generally make stuff happen! If I were to pick one highlight from my three years here, it would be negotiating a new co-production output deal with the Public Broadcasting Service in America to support the BBC's pipeline of great factual content."
We're people like Orlando Turner
Orlando, whose role as an AV Systems Engineer has allowed him to learn from the best talent in the industry.
We're people like Ellie Pullan
Ellie, a Programming Executive on the Digital Children’s team, who helps to facilitate various teams' KPIs through supporting digital-first campaigns.
We're people like Jay Jaxon
Jay, who's a problem-solver extraordinaire as Operations Director in Miami.
"Operations in Miami provides end-to-end support to our Latin America region. That means ensuring our content is secure and our people are safe, providing playout and distribution to our channels business, creating cost-efficient, sustainable and reliant workflows to the sales content team - and anything else the region needs. You can imagine how much of my day is spent solving problems; it really keeps me on my toes."
"I started in live events before moving into the music business as an audio engineer. I then moved into TV and the rest, as they say, is history. I've been witness to some fascinating changes as we've moved from tape to tapeless, from tapeless to file-based environments, from linear TV to non-linear and video on demand platforms."
"I decided to develop my career on the Operations side of the business and I've been at BBC Worldwide for two and a half years now. I've been fortunate to be able to build an incredible team around me, the people here really are first class. While I might have been around a bit I'm still learning, particularly on developing my leadership skills and technical knowledge."
We're people like Rosie Thomas
Rosie, whose favourite part of her job as a Producer of Green Planet is the opportunity learn and travel.