***You must be authorized to work in the United States to be considered for this role.
At BBC News, we aim to help people understand the world around them, make informed choices, and take an active part in society and democracy.
BBC StoryWorks is the commercial content studio of BBC Global News. We build on the BBC’s award-winning expertise in creating compelling film and video, thought-provoking written journalism, and innovative digital content, and our instinctive ability to seek out stories that capture audiences’ attention and inspire people across the globe.
We’re looking for creative minds to join the team and develop fresh ideas for smart, innovative content and experiences that will resonate with BBC audiences and help our partners achieve their messaging objectives. Join us and be an essential part of the world’s most trusted news gathering organization.
Purpose of the role
The Project Manager, Branded Content will oversee the on-time and on-budget execution and delivery of custom digital campaigns--including custom content (articles + videos), custom development (web page design + development), and custom creative (promotional drivers, social units)--for BBC StoryWorks, BBC’s global branded content division.
The Project Manager, Branded Content will serve as the main point of contact for the client, external partners, and internal stakeholders providing ongoing project status updates, timelines, action items, and deliverables.
- Collaborate across internal BBC Studios (including sales, content strategists, editorial, product development, ad ops, marketing, social media, research, etc.) to ensure programs are delivered on time and on budget.
- Develop comprehensive project timelines and deliverable schedules for new content programs signed with commercial partners.
- Work with the campaign optimization analyst to monitor the campaign’s performance success, in accordance with budgets and client KPIs, to ensure all programs are tracking to meet the campaign goals.
- Manage relationships with various third-party vendors and contributors (ex. production companies, freelance writers, talent) recruited to help build deliverables for individual content programs.
- Work with the project coordinator to process all project-related contracts, including those with talent, freelancers, researchers, etc... to ensure all vendors are paid on time and in accordance with their contracts.
Scope & Impact
- Deliver exceptional client service and communication throughout the entire project lifecycle including facilitating client-facing meetings, creating project timelines, trafficking approvals and deliverables, ensuring campaign KPIs are being met, and reconciling budgets.
- Lead and deliver client and partner communications to provide visibility and clarity to the BBC Studios content and production processes including compliance sign-offs, content production, approvals, and launch steps, as well as discuss overall campaign performance.
The Ideal Candidate
As a global business, diversity, equity, and inclusion among team members is essential to our success. We therefore encourage highly skilled candidates from traditionally under-represented groups to submit their applications, even if they don’t check absolutely every box on our list of desired work experience.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and presentational communication skills.
- Agile mindset and dedicated to continuous improvement.
- Great sense of humor, self-motivated, and the ability to both collaborate with a team and work independently
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to build trusted working relationships with clients and internal stakeholders by actively listening, anticipating needs, and using others-focused communication.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, risk-assess, prioritize, and problem solve.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate detailed information in a high-pressure environment.
- 4-6 years of experience managing and building relationships with internal and external clients as a project lead for large-scale, high-value multi-platform campaigns.
- Experience overseeing the goals, timelines, and execution of various forms of content production and distribution (Ex. video production, editorial content, interactive digital platforms, social media amplification)
- Strong understanding of the following:
- Digital media landscape (including social)
- Innovative digital storytelling products, platforms, and distribution channels
- Campaign performance KPIs and reporting
Compensation information: $60,000 - $80,000. Dependent on experience & market conditions.
**This range is not inclusive of a comprehensive bonus, flexible, hybrid working schedule and comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to: 100% BBCS covered medical and dental insurance for employees and their dependents, vision, competitive 401(k) match, mental health, gym reimbursement, pet insurance, commuter benefits.Job ID 39000921136 Date posted 01/12/2022 Location New York, New York, United States
Meet our people
We're people like Andy Fernandez
Andy, who brings a fresh look and approach to every project as a Senior Producer in Singapore.
"My career in TV production began in Bombay back in 1994 and five years later I moved to a cable and satellite television network in Singapore. I fell in love with the city and have been here ever since. I did spend a few months with a production house, but broadcast has always been my thing. Nine years ago I joined BBC Worldwide as a Producer and I haven't looked back, continually developing my broadcast skills and growing my career."
"What I really enjoy about my job is that I have both production and management responsibilities: I'm involved in producing promotional videos, mainly for On Air but also for Sales and Marketing, but I also guide and direct creative decisions and oversee the team's workflow. The opportunity to work with premium, quality-based programming on a daily basis is all the motivation you need, and I try to bring a fresh look and approach to every project – I really put my heart and soul into every job, staying positive even when things don't go so well. I also enjoy the working culture. There's mutual respect throughout the whole team and I'm always learning from others."
We're people like Chris Cole
Chris, whose entrepreneurial talents enable him to brainstorm ideas and fight fires as Executive Vice President, Strategic Partnerships/Projects in New York.
"Before I joined BBC Worldwide, I spent 14 years as an executive producer and a year as part of the BBC's commissioning team. This involved working with both in-house and independent productions in the USA and UK, and delivering science and natural history projects across BBC channels. It's great to compliment and use that experience in the commercial world. My role has allowed me to develop my interests in factual entertainment, and with BBC Worldwide, you're guaranteed great content, a great brand and great people – all rolled up into one organisation."
"I'm responsible for developing and driving strategic business growth for our factual content in North America including sales, co-productions and front list SVOD. It's about being positive, creative and entrepreneurial, and there's a lot to my role from supporting my team to brainstorming ideas on how to get the best deal done. I talk to clients, solve problems, fight fires... and generally make stuff happen! If I were to pick one highlight from my three years here, it would be negotiating a new co-production output deal with the Public Broadcasting Service in America to support the BBC's pipeline of great factual content."
We're people like Orlando Turner
Orlando, whose role as an AV Systems Engineer has allowed him to learn from the best talent in the industry.
We're people like Ellie Pullan
Ellie, a Programming Executive on the Digital Children’s team, who helps to facilitate various teams' KPIs through supporting digital-first campaigns.
We're people like Jay Jaxon
Jay, who's a problem-solver extraordinaire as Operations Director in Miami.
"Operations in Miami provides end-to-end support to our Latin America region. That means ensuring our content is secure and our people are safe, providing playout and distribution to our channels business, creating cost-efficient, sustainable and reliant workflows to the sales content team - and anything else the region needs. You can imagine how much of my day is spent solving problems; it really keeps me on my toes."
"I started in live events before moving into the music business as an audio engineer. I then moved into TV and the rest, as they say, is history. I've been witness to some fascinating changes as we've moved from tape to tapeless, from tapeless to file-based environments, from linear TV to non-linear and video on demand platforms."
"I decided to develop my career on the Operations side of the business and I've been at BBC Worldwide for two and a half years now. I've been fortunate to be able to build an incredible team around me, the people here really are first class. While I might have been around a bit I'm still learning, particularly on developing my leadership skills and technical knowledge."
We're people like Rosie Thomas
Rosie, whose favourite part of her job as a Producer of Green Planet is the opportunity learn and travel.