***You must be authorized to work in the United States to be considered for this role.
At BBC Global Digital News & Streaming, (a team situated within BBC Studios, the commercial arm of the BBC) we aim to help people understand the world around them, make informed choices, and take an active part in society and democracy. As we expand our footprint to meet increasing demand for our style of quality and impartial journalism and unscripted content in North America, we are seeking motivated, passionate, high performing individuals across a variety of skillsets to join our global team. Our primary locations are New York, Washington DC, and London, though as a distributed workforce we are open to applicants in any location where the BBC has a commercial presence.
Join us and be an essential part of one of the world’s most recognized brands and trusted news organizations.
Purpose of the role
You are an expert storyteller that knows how to bring big ideas and narratives to life. A master in their craft in constructing short-form video across marketing assets including trailers, sizzle reels, marketing campaigns, and social assets. As the Senior Video Editor, you will have the opportunity to create emotional breakthrough video marketing content across factual and scripted that captivates and resonates with our audiences, helping push culture, society, and the BBC forward.
- Create compelling brand reels and sizzle tapes showcasing the breadth of BBC’s offerings.
- Retain a keen eye for detail while in the finishing process.
- Exquisite musical taste with a keen ear and talent for sound design.
- Responsible for signing off completed programs or material for broadcast.
- Oversight and a clear point of view across various videos created for marketing collateral.
- Address and implement creative notes, while knowing when and where to push editorial decisions with clear reasoning.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the department’s strategy and policy.
- Seek improvements in content production to develop further efficiencies in working practices.
- Able to communicate and contribute to the department strategy as required.
- Has the ability to consider a range of problems and uses their own judgment to apply effective, time-critical solutions.
Scope & Impact
- Create series trailers for marketing and/or sales purposes.
- An impartial approach to storytelling is key to aligning with our brand values across all assets we create and market.
- Ensure content reflects our diverse audiences.
- Keep up to date with emerging industry trends.
- Accountable for the compliance and delivery of content, acting within BBC Editorial, Legal and Health & Safety guidelines.
- Up-to-date knowledge of the BBC's diverse audiences and their needs and expectations and use this to shape creative and engagement output.
- Work alongside art directors, motion designers, and creative directors to ideate, create, and ship best-in-class short-form video across BBC Studios properties.
- Where relevant, liaise with Rights teams and contract negotiators and ensure copyright and contracts adhere to BBC regulations.
- Develop and manage positive working relationships with staff, contributors and talent and be able to give constructive feedback.
The Ideal Candidate
As a global business, diversity, equity, and inclusion among team members is essential to our success. We therefore encourage highly skilled candidates from traditionally under-represented groups to submit their applications, even if they don’t check absolutely every box on our list of desired work experience.
Knowledge & Skills
- A wide-ranging knowledge of production processes techniques and technologies.
- Sound editorial judgment and a thorough knowledge of editorial and legal guidelines.
- Proven experience in taking ideas from concept to finished product whilst driving forward creativity.
- Able to lead the team to develop creative ideas which engage diverse audiences in a demanding creative environment.
- 5+ Years experience professional editing experience
- Experience working in-house at a media company or an agency setting (news and/or tech experience a plus)
- A diverse portfolio, showcasing a short-form marketing materials across entertainment and/or news.
- Proven experience of the latest production Excellent editorial judgment and knowledge of the target audience, their needs and expectations
- Ability to establish effective short and long-term relationships with a wide range of people, talent, partners and agencies.
- Highly developed planning and organizing skills.
- Ability to manage several areas of work at one time, prioritizing, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities.
Compensation information: $80,000-$120,000. Dependent on experience & market conditions.
**This range is not inclusive of a flexible, hybrid working schedule and comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to: 100% BBCS covered medical and dental insurance for employees and their dependents, vision, competitive 401(k) match, mental health, gym reimbursement, pet insurance, commuter benefits.Job ID 39574584048 Date posted 10/11/2022 Location New York, New York, United States
Meet our people
We're people like Andy Fernandez
Andy, who brings a fresh look and approach to every project as a Senior Producer in Singapore.
"My career in TV production began in Bombay back in 1994 and five years later I moved to a cable and satellite television network in Singapore. I fell in love with the city and have been here ever since. I did spend a few months with a production house, but broadcast has always been my thing. Nine years ago I joined BBC Worldwide as a Producer and I haven't looked back, continually developing my broadcast skills and growing my career."
"What I really enjoy about my job is that I have both production and management responsibilities: I'm involved in producing promotional videos, mainly for On Air but also for Sales and Marketing, but I also guide and direct creative decisions and oversee the team's workflow. The opportunity to work with premium, quality-based programming on a daily basis is all the motivation you need, and I try to bring a fresh look and approach to every project – I really put my heart and soul into every job, staying positive even when things don't go so well. I also enjoy the working culture. There's mutual respect throughout the whole team and I'm always learning from others."
We're people like Chris Cole
Chris, whose entrepreneurial talents enable him to brainstorm ideas and fight fires as Executive Vice President, Strategic Partnerships/Projects in New York.
"Before I joined BBC Worldwide, I spent 14 years as an executive producer and a year as part of the BBC's commissioning team. This involved working with both in-house and independent productions in the USA and UK, and delivering science and natural history projects across BBC channels. It's great to compliment and use that experience in the commercial world. My role has allowed me to develop my interests in factual entertainment, and with BBC Worldwide, you're guaranteed great content, a great brand and great people – all rolled up into one organisation."
"I'm responsible for developing and driving strategic business growth for our factual content in North America including sales, co-productions and front list SVOD. It's about being positive, creative and entrepreneurial, and there's a lot to my role from supporting my team to brainstorming ideas on how to get the best deal done. I talk to clients, solve problems, fight fires... and generally make stuff happen! If I were to pick one highlight from my three years here, it would be negotiating a new co-production output deal with the Public Broadcasting Service in America to support the BBC's pipeline of great factual content."
We're people like Orlando Turner
Orlando, whose role as an AV Systems Engineer has allowed him to learn from the best talent in the industry.
We're people like Ellie Pullan
Ellie, a Programming Executive on the Digital Children’s team, who helps to facilitate various teams' KPIs through supporting digital-first campaigns.
We're people like Jay Jaxon
Jay, who's a problem-solver extraordinaire as Operations Director in Miami.
"Operations in Miami provides end-to-end support to our Latin America region. That means ensuring our content is secure and our people are safe, providing playout and distribution to our channels business, creating cost-efficient, sustainable and reliant workflows to the sales content team - and anything else the region needs. You can imagine how much of my day is spent solving problems; it really keeps me on my toes."
"I started in live events before moving into the music business as an audio engineer. I then moved into TV and the rest, as they say, is history. I've been witness to some fascinating changes as we've moved from tape to tapeless, from tapeless to file-based environments, from linear TV to non-linear and video on demand platforms."
"I decided to develop my career on the Operations side of the business and I've been at BBC Worldwide for two and a half years now. I've been fortunate to be able to build an incredible team around me, the people here really are first class. While I might have been around a bit I'm still learning, particularly on developing my leadership skills and technical knowledge."
We're people like Rosie Thomas
Rosie, whose favourite part of her job as a Producer of Green Planet is the opportunity learn and travel.