- Working within collaborative team to deliver and implement Business and Legal Affairs (BLA) support to all lines of BBC Studios business across Asia Pacific (APAC)
- Maintaining and improving contract and document management systems and internal reporting processes
- Building and maintaining internal and external relationships and partnerships within APAC and across departments and offices within the BBCS network
- Drafting and assisting with negotiation of straightforward contracts
The role requires a ‘one BBC’ approach with close teamwork and/or embedded ways of working with all Divisions across the organisation. This is central to our purpose and culture and is critical to this role.
- Systems and record keeping: Lead on contract execution and document management processes (e.g. signing and filing of both hard/soft copy documents, and courier of documents to our global offices) and ensure all records on relevant BBC systems are current and maintained. Support team on Company Secretarial and regulatory filings and internal reporting requirements.
- Team support: Coordinate administrative matters for the team (e.g. preparation of weekly team meeting agenda, note taking, status tracking of items requiring action from various stakeholders and managing team members’ calendar as needed etc., processing of invoices). Provide proactive assistance to lawyers in arranging documents for notarisation and legalisation where required.
- Stakeholder management: Work well with various teams across numerous departments and global offices.
- Regulatory & Market intelligence: Work with team members to compile related guidance notes and help to schedule relevant training sessions on legislative, regulatory and industry-related developments, changes and trends.
- Training and Development: Work with team members to develop and provide day-to-day support, training and development for Commercial teams as well as coordinating training opportunities for BLA team members. To maintain efficiencies by reviewing and proposing new ways of working.
- Research: Provide proactive assistance to lawyers by undertaking legal research, gathering information and collating relevant information to support resolution of legal issues across the region.
- Risk management: To assist with monitoring and tracking of legal, contractual and business affairs risk, brand and IP protection.
- Contract drafting: Basic contract drafting following existing precedents and templates.
The Ideal Candidate
- Document management experience and basic contract drafting.
- Educated to degree level or similar acquired through vocational training and relevant work experience.
- Experience in working in a private practice law firm environment or MNC in-house environment (TMT preferred but not essential), providing legal and administrative support while respecting confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to communicate accurately, clearly and concisely.
- Good organizational skills with ability to work accurately and effectively under pressure.
- Shows initiative, commitment and flexibility when faced with obstacles.
- Motivated to learn and open to constructive feedback.
- Computer literate with skills across a range of IT packages.
- Experience of developing and maintaining strong, collaborative working relationships.
- Experience of managing and/or delivering projects.
- Good attention to detail and the ability to examine and summarize complex data.
- An approach that encompasses responsiveness, proactivity, flexibility, resilience, passion and energy.
- Knowledge of, and/or experience in, broadcast, production or media sectors
- Intellectual Property Law experience
- Experience working in in-house environment
- Mandarin or other languages relevant for APAC region
- Makes well-judged and informed decisions and takes responsibility for their consequences.
- Manages own time to achieve specified short-term targets.
- Exercises proactivity, responsibility, empowerment, judgment and discretion.
- Maintains strong working relationships.
Meet our people
We're people like Andy Fernandez
Andy, who brings a fresh look and approach to every project as a Senior Producer in Singapore.
"My career in TV production began in Bombay back in 1994 and five years later I moved to a cable and satellite television network in Singapore. I fell in love with the city and have been here ever since. I did spend a few months with a production house, but broadcast has always been my thing. Nine years ago I joined BBC Worldwide as a Producer and I haven't looked back, continually developing my broadcast skills and growing my career."
"What I really enjoy about my job is that I have both production and management responsibilities: I'm involved in producing promotional videos, mainly for On Air but also for Sales and Marketing, but I also guide and direct creative decisions and oversee the team's workflow. The opportunity to work with premium, quality-based programming on a daily basis is all the motivation you need, and I try to bring a fresh look and approach to every project – I really put my heart and soul into every job, staying positive even when things don't go so well. I also enjoy the working culture. There's mutual respect throughout the whole team and I'm always learning from others."
We're people like Chris Cole
Chris, whose entrepreneurial talents enable him to brainstorm ideas and fight fires as Executive Vice President, Strategic Partnerships/Projects in New York.
"Before I joined BBC Worldwide, I spent 14 years as an executive producer and a year as part of the BBC's commissioning team. This involved working with both in-house and independent productions in the USA and UK, and delivering science and natural history projects across BBC channels. It's great to compliment and use that experience in the commercial world. My role has allowed me to develop my interests in factual entertainment, and with BBC Worldwide, you're guaranteed great content, a great brand and great people – all rolled up into one organisation."
"I'm responsible for developing and driving strategic business growth for our factual content in North America including sales, co-productions and front list SVOD. It's about being positive, creative and entrepreneurial, and there's a lot to my role from supporting my team to brainstorming ideas on how to get the best deal done. I talk to clients, solve problems, fight fires... and generally make stuff happen! If I were to pick one highlight from my three years here, it would be negotiating a new co-production output deal with the Public Broadcasting Service in America to support the BBC's pipeline of great factual content."
We're people like Orlando Turner
Orlando, whose role as an AV Systems Engineer has allowed him to learn from the best talent in the industry.
We're people like Ellie Pullan
Ellie, a Programming Executive on the Digital Children’s team, who helps to facilitate various teams' KPIs through supporting digital-first campaigns.
We're people like Jay Jaxon
Jay, who's a problem-solver extraordinaire as Operations Director in Miami.
"Operations in Miami provides end-to-end support to our Latin America region. That means ensuring our content is secure and our people are safe, providing playout and distribution to our channels business, creating cost-efficient, sustainable and reliant workflows to the sales content team - and anything else the region needs. You can imagine how much of my day is spent solving problems; it really keeps me on my toes."
"I started in live events before moving into the music business as an audio engineer. I then moved into TV and the rest, as they say, is history. I've been witness to some fascinating changes as we've moved from tape to tapeless, from tapeless to file-based environments, from linear TV to non-linear and video on demand platforms."
"I decided to develop my career on the Operations side of the business and I've been at BBC Worldwide for two and a half years now. I've been fortunate to be able to build an incredible team around me, the people here really are first class. While I might have been around a bit I'm still learning, particularly on developing my leadership skills and technical knowledge."
We're people like Rosie Thomas
Rosie, whose favourite part of her job as a Producer of Green Planet is the opportunity learn and travel.